Friday, March 25, 2011

Pinky



Is the name of our shared family iPod. Bennett Schneider won this iPod in a sales contest last year, and I was the lucky recipient. It started out as Eden and Clara's. They named it and we loaded it full of Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood and Miley Cyrus. Since then, Dave discovered that this "new" (read ... now obsolete) iPod has a radio feature, so he uses Pinky when he goes to the gym. I got tired of updating Pinky and my old iPod, so I also adopted it. And, last but not least, we lost the password to Davis' iPod "Hook Em" and so now he uses it - of course, only when his friends aren't around or he can hide it in his pocket.

Today, this iPod was a great friend. A few weeks ago a friend of mine asked me if I wanted to run the Rock the Parkway half-marathon with her. I told her I would love too. I signed up and then realized this race was just about two weeks away.

Now, since I graduated college I have been a runner. And it is said, "Once a runner, always a runner." But I have not run more than 7 miles in a probably 16 months. Partly because I have been focusing on Pilates and swimming and just more balance, but also because of that nagging Piriformis problem.

This morning, I new I needed to get 10 miles in. I had to know if I could even run for an hour and a half. I dropped the kids off at school, came home and grabbed my old friends, Pinky and Garmin.



It was amazing. Sunshine, crisp morning, easy pace and the Shuffle feature on Pinky. Usually I am very picky about what music is playing while I run - today I just let it go. Here is what I heard. Let's see if I can remember a few...

Taylor Swift - Back to December
Carrie Underwood - Songs Like This
Lady Gaga - Poker Face
Lyle Lovett - That's right (You're not from Texas)
??? - Cupid Shuffle
Jimmy Buffet - Cheeseburger in Paradise
Kenny Chesney - Down the Road
Lady Antebellum - I Run to You
Sugarland - Life in a Northern Town
Miley Cyrus - Party in the USA
Bruce Springsteen - Thunder Road
Kanye West - Amazing

There were many others. These the most memorable. So thanks Pinky. Nothing like finishing off ten miles with the famous Jimmy Buffet song, "Why Don't We Get Drunk."

No comments:

Post a Comment