Thursday, May 26, 2011

The View



And no, I am not talking about that show on weekday mornings.

I have been doing a lot of reading lately. Mostly to keep my mind busy and to keep myself from dwelling on some more serious, sometimes overwhelming matters. I have been desperately trying to gain perspective and to find a place that fits for me.

I recently completed Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson. It is a truly delightful love story and there were a couple of very special moments in this book.

One of which is set at Major Pettigrew's home. He and Mrs. Ali, who he is becoming very fond of, are outside his home in the back garden. As they reach a section of fence, Major Pettigrew is concerned that Mrs. Ali will notice his shabby repair work on the fence, yet all she sees is the lovely view of the sheep grazing on a sea of rolling hills.

He begins, "It's just a small view, but for some reason I never tire of coming out in the evening to watch the sun leaving the fields."

It is her comment that really struck me (and even forced me to dog-ear my page, which is something I hate to do. And yes, I still read real books with real pages.)

She replies, "I don't believe the greatest views in the world are great because they are vast or exotic. I think their power comes from the knowledge that they do not change. You look at them and you know they have been the same for a thousand years."

So, this summer, when you are on vacation, taking a photograph of the grand canyon, or the Rocky mountains, or your local park, think to yourself how long that view has been there - that is perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment