Thursday, July 1, 2010

Our Experiment

Okay - a while back I started focusing on making all my kids snacks from scratch, if they were not already that way (i.e. fruit, cheese, nuts, etc.). I really wish I had done a better job documenting these things along the way - but anyway here we are. What has come of this is my insatiable desire to create ice cream and gelato from scratch using only natural ingredients, good milk, nuts, fruits, spices and yes, even things found in our garden and our friends' gardens.

To make what could be a very long story, short, from this has come my own little venture into the custom culinary business, GOOD artisan ice cream. Now I know, ice cream is not as good for you as say a summer squash (though those are darn good) - it provides me a way to reward my family and friends for all the healthy eating and living we do and also allows me to make sure I know what my family is getting in their treats!

My husband and kids and I are navigating this world of too much of everything with the simple motto that Good things can be good for your body, mind and soul ... in moderation! We know we can't eat ice cream every meal, every day - but it is a great treat and knowing it is fresh makes it even better. So enjoy today's flavors... Blueberry Lavender and Mint Chocolate Chip and e-mail me if you would like to order some!



Blueberry Lavendar - This is made from fresh blueberry puree, lavendar steeped in warm milk, cream, eggs and sugar! I know it sounds funny, but it is a great combination.



Mint Chocolate Chip - Real mint here folks! Steeped in warm milk for two hours, eggs, sugar and dark chocolate chunks added during the freezing stage. This doesn't taste like store bought mint ice cream it has a really great leafy mint taste - very natural! Also, did you know, good mint ice cream will not be green - those are food colorings and dyes that make that color! You can see from below I was going to add strawberries and also make a mint strawberry, but my batch didn't make enough to split it! Will do again.




Other flavors now available - Salty Caramel, Lemon Poppyseed, Cherry Chip, Espresso with Chocolate-Covered Espresso Beans, Pistachio and of course, Vanilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment