Friday, April 15, 2011

Friday Flicks: Spanglish


Sometimes I get stuck. It isn't that I haven't had things to write about here in the last few weeks. It is just that once you take a break, and life forgets to take that same break with you, you get behind. So far behind that you just don't know where to start.

So, I am creating Friday Flicks. A way to keep me on track and also keep me writing about movies, which I love.

I will start from last night. Thursday night. Nothing special. Just a rare opportunity to spend an hour talking with Dave about his week at work. Intense, to say the least. Dave has a huge heart. If anyone knows where they stand in this world, from a value perspective, it is Dave. He is extremely honest and disciplined and thinks the best of everyone, even when I find myself questioning them.

One of my favorite movies, and by favorite I mean I could watch it over and over, is Spanglish. There are a lot of reasons I like this movie. The father, played by Adam Sandler, is a chef. The mother is a runner, there house is messy and somewhat happenstance, but so very perfect from my perspective.



That is an amazing photo wall and I love that paint color. And how about the pool...



Love the Foosball table in the living room:



Mostly though, the storyline makes me want to be a better mother, runner, friend, cook, daughter, etc.

Here is the story:

"John Clasky is a devoted dad whose skills as a chef have offered his family a very upscale life, including a summer home in Malibu and a breathtaking Mexican housekeeper, named Flor. She and her daughter Cristina have recently emigrated to L.A. from Mexico and are trying to find a better life. When they move in with the Claskys for the summer, Flor has to fight for her daughter's soul as she discovers that life in a new country is perilous!"

There is a line in the movie that I found myself saying to Dave last night. Flor finds herself struggling with her daughter's desire to attend the fancy, private school the Clasky children attend. She approaches John about the struggle she is having and he says to her, very simply, "If you think you're at some crossroads, you are."

So, crossroads can be good. And insightful ... And terrifying.

No comments:

Post a Comment