Thursday, October 7, 2010

And so it begins...


my first attempt at a 21-day, for lack of a better word, detox. I am excited and terrified. I have read and reread, spent hours in the grocery store, prepared and practiced making juices, smoothies and spent the better part of the last three weeks (except my recent binge fest while in Southern California this week) on an "elimination" diet - which basically just helps you get ready for the changes ahead.

I am going to spend the next 21 days following Dr. Alejandro Junger's Clean Program. Dr. Junger is board certified in internal medicine and cardiology. In addition to having trained and practiced medicine in New York City, Dr. Junger studied Eastern medicine in India and was the medical director of WE Care Holistic Health Center in Palm Springs, a world-famous center for fasting, cleansing, and detoxification.

His system, in a healthy nutshell, is a truly holistic approach that is intended to restore the body's natural ability to heal itself.

Here is the plan:

1. I will have a liquid breakfast and dinner. These liquid meals are a combination of smoothies, soups and juices. Most of which I have found to be quite good (never thought I would drink anything made with Kale...let alone call it good). All of which I will detail in this blog.

2. I am allowed one solid meal a day. A healthy lunch made with the "allowed" foods on the list. Also will be detailing those meals here.

3. In order to allow your body to truly benefit from a detox, it must be allowed one 12-hour "food-free" period. So after I have my last liquid meal of the day, I will wait a full 12 hours before having the next liquid meal.

4. I will be drinking lots of water, exercising, meditating, hot-cold plunging, carefully watching comes out of my body, (pleasant, I know), etc.

The list goes on. My promise is to do the best I can at this. I will be open and honest on this journey and I encourage you to read and follow along. You may be asking, why? Those who know me, know that I live a pretty healthy lifestyle. But I have my hang-ups too. So here are some of my reasons:

1. I am tired of being tired.
2. I have had a nagging piriformis problem in my right leg for over two years now. I have tried not running, running, walking, physical therapy, yoga, etc. Nothing works. I truly believe this will resolve this - more on why later!
3. I don't want to drink coffee/espresso anymore.
4. I find that I am forgetful and have difficulty concentrating.
5. I had a dangerous, life-threatening blood clot 4 1/2 years ago and I still have residual swelling in my left leg as a result of the damage to the valve.
6. I would like to lose 5 pounds in the process.
7. I want to quiet my mind.

So, there it is. Like I said, I am very excited. So, stay tuned. And if you have any questions, send them my way, if I don't know the answer I will find it. I am very aware that this is not going to be easy. But I am very committed to the changes, both positive and negative that it will bring.

JoEllen

1 comment:

  1. Good luck, JoEllen. I am excited about the positive changes that may come from this for you, and champion the fact that you've committed yourself to this plan. May the journey be as pleasant as the destination.


    Cheers,
    Jennifer Bradshaw Ferguson

    ReplyDelete