Thursday, August 5, 2010

Surprising Week

I have had a week full of very pleasant surprises I thought I would share:

1. A dear friend of mine wrote me a very delightful thank you note for nothing. Just a thank you. And as the owner of a stationery shop it means even more, because I know how rarely people write notes anymore.

2. My month without sugar and sweets (beginning August 1st has been surprisingly easy). Though I am making an exception for business related tastings (I had a GOOD artisan ice cream delivery today and I refuse to let an order go out the door without a taste) and my mom's birthday party on Sunday. However, I will say Thursday was not so easy. Why? Because I made this cake for a friend's birthday weekend and my favorite candy in the world might be Reeses' peanut butter cups. I should write a thank you note to the expensive cherries I ate while I baked and assembled.



3. My nine year old son, Davis, played fantastically well in a three day golf tournament ending Wednesday. He shot his best three rounds ever. And if you live in Kansas City you know that the weather this week has not been ideal. His endurance and desire to get back out there the next day in 100 degree heat was truly inspiring.




4. I had to give up running for a month. And I thought it would be hell. However, I have had a few great bike rides, swims and have started my pilates reformer sessions. It has been very pleasant to wake up pain free everyday this week. I could really get used to this.

5. Friday evening I went out to dinner with my longtime summer babysitter. I really even hate to call her that - she is much more a family friend than babysitter. I very rarely take a night out so it was quite enjoyable. Now I know this sounds terrible, but I was secretly hoping I would get home to find a house full of sleeping children (especially Eden and Clara). But, much to my surprise, their dad let them stay up until I got home. Once I got past the fact that I was tired and going to have to do the bedtime routine, I helped them up to bed, brush their teeth and find all the necessary bedtime accessories (blankets, stuffed dog, etc.). As I was tucking Clara into bed she asks, "Does God make the clouds?" I replied, "Yes. Why?" Clara replies, "Because he draws them good." Then rolled over, said good night and that was that. I really wanted to ask what made her ask me that, but the simplicity was so sweet that I didn't care. I just smiled and realized how glad I was to come home and find them still awake. What a nice surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment